Individual Leadership Intervention Reflection Paper: 20 points
In the past few weeks, you practiced observation skills by watching Invictus, a movie that tells “the inspiring true story of how Nelson Mandela joined forces with the captain of South Africa’s rugby team to help unite their country.” Newly elected President Mandela knows his nation remains racially and economically divided in the wake of apartheid. Believing he can bring his people together through the universal language of sport, Mandela rallies South Africa’s rugby team as they make their historic run to the 1995 Rugby World Cup Championship match.
While watching the film, you were instructed to pay special attention to the factors relating to group dynamics for teams, pick up three aspects from the following list as the roadmap in your three body paragraphs.
- Leader’s behaviors,
- Communication Patterns,
- Conflict resolution style,
- Power styles,
- Decision-making style,
- Power, Social influence,
You were also instructed to identify interventions developed by different leaders in the film.
Every student writes his/her own paper (800 words) to reflect on the following three questions:
- Introduction: The introductory paragraph is usually brief (3-4 sentences). Simply introduce Levi’s theory or concepts in a general way. Include the leadership theory and the theorist’s name/authors’ name, the authors’ credentials, educational background, and expertise. You might include when it was developed if this is relevant, and you might list the parts or categories. Be sure to include citations for any background information you use. End your introduction with your thesis statement.
- Background: Write one fairly short paragraph to summarize the case or situation. Summarize the movie’s background information, Nelson Mandela’s biography (from another credible source) and simply introduce the plot about the situation and the context (who, what, where, and when the story happens) and highlight the names of the main people involved. Don’t forget the movie’s citation.
- In body paragraphs: find a keyword/name/situation from the movie then integrate with the leadership theory of the textbook (Levi, 2017) Explain how the specific theoretical terms help you explain the problem or issue in the movie. Give detailed evidence and draw out the keywords from both theory and case. Don’t forget that case evidence typically needs to be described (paraphrased) but should include at least a short “quote” to demonstrate close attention to the case. Self-reflection. Add a concluding sentence that uses keywords from the paragraph sentence and summarizes the idea of the paragraph.
In the three body paragraphs, each body paragraph should respond to the following three questions:
- Which leadership intervention has impressed you the most?
- How does a leader contribute to the development of this intervention?
- If you were that leader, do you think you could or would want to develop a different intervention?
- Conclusion The paragraph is brief (3-4 sentences). Just restate your thesis (in a new, fresh way) and any conclusions you have drawn. Do not make any recommendations or add any new pieces.
- APA 7th ed. Format & At least four references.